Our position postings page advertises open positions for postdocs, students, faculty, and staff in SBGrid member laboratories and institutions. Please send brief descriptions to Michelle. Postings will remain online for 60 days
Data Scientist – Protein Sciences
127! That’s the number of drug discovery projects impacted this year by protein science data at Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research. Are you a curious and inspired Data Scientist passionate about bringing protein science data to the next level of informing and impacting drug discovery projects? Do you like working in cross-functional and multidisciplinary teams? Do you enjoy transforming scientific challenges into computational solutions to catalyze efficiency in data-driven drug discovery? As a team member of a global Data Science group with expertise in protein data science, data engineering, computational biology, bioinformatics, screening analytics and predictive modeling this is a unique opportunity waiting for you to leverage protein science data at scale.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Engage in an interdisciplinary environment with structural biologists, biophysicists, protein chemists, proteomic scientists and molecular modelers to advance structure-based drug discovery using innovative computational approaches.
- Champion data stewardship in protein crystallography, biomolecular NMR, cryo-EM and biophysics to enable predictive science. - Design and implement robust applications, methods and end-to-end analysis workflows for automated data processing, quality control and publishing.
- Exploit and integrate internal and external protein data sources to generate drug discovery impact.
- Ideate and proto-type tailored visualizations and webservices for data dissemination across the organization.
- Mentor scientists who are developing their computational skills.
Full details here: https://www.novartis.com/careers/career-search/job-details/304587BR
Posting Date Aug 31, 2020
Harvard Cryo-EM Center for Structural Biology
Harvard Medical School houses two core facilities providing access to negative stain and cryo-EM instrumentation; we are looking for a highly motivated scientist to join our team. The Harvard Cryo-EM Center for Structural Biology, formed as a consortium between HMS, Boston Children's Hospital, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, and Massachusetts General Hospital, serves the consortium members and a variety of external academic and commercial users. The Molecular Electron Microscopy Suite is a training resource for Quad-based researchers at Harvard Medical School. The successful candidate will provide support and training for researchers seeking to learn cryo-EM and negative-stain EM in these two facilities, serving as an interface between the instrumentation and a vibrant scientific community. The candidate will work closely with a team of scientists to support COVID-19 and related projects in many research areas and will take on facility management responsibilities.
- Serve as the technical interface between users and the Talos Arctica and Titan Krios microscopes by loading samples and checking microscope alignments.
- Train users to operate TEM microscopes, specifically the Tecnai T12, Talos Arctica, and Titan Krios; including sample preparation (negative stain and cryo-plunging), grid loading, sample screening, and data collection.
- Advise researchers on experimental strategy and, when appropriate, collaborate with them to assist in data acquisition, analysis and structure determination, particularly with COVID-19-related work.
- Interact closely with the core facilities’ team to manage microscope and equipment maintenance, coordinate user scheduling and training, and interface with SBGrid to assist with the computational needs of both facilities.
- This position will have a high degree of independence, opportunities to present at regional and national scientific symposia and workshops, and opportunities to develop collaborative relationships with Harvard community investigators.
Posting Date Aug 31, 2020