Self-administered OS X / MacOS workstations on the SBGrid network can be configured for remote access (both command line and graphical). You will need to be on the SBGrid/CMCD VPN to use this approach. This will work from a local OS X / MacOS system (aka - a mac laptop).
This should be configured with terminal access to your workstation (either a local terminal window, or through ssh), and assumes that the you have administrative (sudo) access.
- enable ssh access:
sudo systemsetup -setremotelogin on
- configure the system to restart on power failure:
sudo -setrestartpowerfailure on
- configure the system to wake on network access:
sudo systemsetup -setwakeonnetworkaccess on
- enable graphical remote access (assumes that the user you run these commands as is the one who will be connecting locally):
sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/kickstart -activate -configure -access -on -users $USER -privs -all -restart -agent
- record / remember the DNS hostname of your workstation, and your user name on that workstation.
- Connect to SBGrid/CMCD VPN
- connect by ssh:
connect by vnc:
open vnc://$my_workstation_hostname) (e.g.